Friday, June 19, 2009

Love my Mama





I could write about a number of things that are going on in my life right now, but I really just want to write about my mama. Writing about Daddy might be more relevant because of the upcoming holiday, but I just watched Hope Floats and mama is on my mind. I’m pretty sure I saw the movie for the first time at my Granny’s house. If you’ve seen the movie, then you would understand why that is significant. It is mostly about the relationship between a granddaughter, daughter, and grandmother.  I miss my Granny.  I miss rubbing lotion on her legs and curling her hair. I miss bringing her Bush’s chicken for dinner and watching her save little chicken pieces for Sassy (her fat Chihuahua). I miss the predictability of her candy stash under the coffee table. I miss watching David Letterman and Everybody Loves Raymond with her. I miss playing with cousins in her tiny little living room. I miss hearing her mix up words and telling me to shut the door so that “the snakes won’t get in.”  I find deep comfort knowing that she is with Jesus, but I miss her. I know my mom must miss her, too.  Remembering her makes me miss mama. It makes me want to cherish all of the time that I have with her until Jesus calls her home. Though God created us to be different in various ways, no one will quite understand me the way that she does. I am thankful that she often told me that she was proud of me and that I mean the world to her. I used to think that she “had to say that because she way my mom.” But she didn’t have to…. She protected me from the nasty world as best she could and hurt with me when it broke my heart. It is so easy to her for granted…but I am getting old enough to know better. I love you so much, mama. 

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely! Can your mom even read it with all the tears she's going to have in her eyes? She is blessed to have you as a daughter.:)

    ReplyDelete