Monday, June 8, 2009

A Peaceful Confidence

"Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin." Matthew 6:28b

First of all, this is my first blog post ever. I really hope that I can keep up with it! I will try to write things that are interesting for you guys to read. I have been looking forward to having a way to reflect on this exciting time in my life. I will be learning a lot about what it means to be engaged and preparing for marriage. I so desperately want to pass on anything that God teaches me about it. 

So, it was my first full day at the Focus on the Family Institute. I am still taking in the new faces and new environment that I have been plopped in to. From the moment I stepped on the plane to now, I have a very deep sense that God has creatively designed detail of my experience here. He has been preparing me for this season for years now. I began to realize these plans on my first flight from Austin to Dallas. The man I sat beside initiated conversation about the wedding magazine I was flipping through. He then started telling me about his family and how two of his sons recently married. He was so open to share and I was eager to listen. After a few minutes I sensed that this man was beautifully filled with the Spirit and also adopted into God's family. I learned so much from him in 45 minutes. Through this divine encounter God gently reminded me that He is always Jehova Jireh--the Lord who graciously provides. He has provided me with this season to get away and be with Him and also dig deeper into something that I am uniquely intrigued by--the family unit, the building block of society. I am so thankful for a ministry that educates people about God's design for the family. I am thankful to be here. 
Three years ago I would have been a nervous wreck coming into a new environment so far away from home. I would have been incredibly intimidated by these super Christian people. But I woke up today and felt a peaceful confidence that I belong here. I belong in this family. I am His. We are all His. The lack of anxiety I feel is like this little secret I have been sharing with Him all day long. He and I know best where I've been and how far I've come. This past year has been kind of dry for me, but today He reminded me of my story. I love that He wrote it and is patient enough to play out the parts with me. Many parts were certainly brutal and ugly, but I praise Him for reminding of those desert places He brought me to in order to show me now that He never left my side for a second. So I am considering the lilies and believing that HE will be the one to move me along into a deeper place of knowing Him. And He will be much more creative than I could ever dream. I could write for hours, but I can't. I hope I can be back tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see that you have a blog! I will be stalking it often for posts about what you're learning. The family unit is big on my priority list too! And perhaps the lack of intimidation from those super Christian people is because you know what a ridiculous mess your future SIL and BIL are...and they're in ministry too?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, this is such a beautiful post. You are so right that God has placed you at Focus for a reason. I am thankful for what you will learn and how it will help our marriage. I can't wait to read more posts!

    P.S. I think you're a great blogger :)

    ReplyDelete