Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Mark of a Christian

First of all, I would like to say that blogging is kind of intimidating. I feel pressure to say something really clever or insightful...I know if I keep feeling this way, my blogging days will soon be long gone. So, just as I am tossing aside my expectations for what this summer should be like, so I am tossing aside any expectations I have for my blog.

So today and yesterday we have been going through orientation...which means mounds of paperwork and long lists of guidelines and rules repeated over and over. It must be done, but I am glad that it's over! It actually wasn't too bad. My professors are flippin' awesome. The staff has a great sense of humor, which I thoroughly enjoy! There are 47 students in our class, which is the exact number of students that I graduated high school with...pretty neat! And no I have not seen Dr. Dobs. He is away for the summer. Too bad I can't stalk him from the bushes as he walks into the building. I guess I will have to find better use of my time. 

This morning, Dr. Leland, the Executive Director of FFI, led us in a time of reflection. First we recited a Hebrew prayer, called Sh'ma (I think).  It was the prayer that Jesus would pray every morning. Hopefully I will be able to memorize it as we, too will recite it every morning before class. After that we read John 13 and discussed what "the mark of a Christian" is. It sounded like sort of a cliche question at first, but God quickly helped me to see the depth and weight of this simple question. 

12 When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? 13 You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet,you also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. 

I wonder what it must have been like for the disciples to sit there and let this man that they respected so much to bend down wash their feet. Maybe they didn't fully understand the humility that Jesus had in doing this until after his resurrection. I mean Jesus was up there for eternity past all clean and pure with his BFFs. I'm sure he wasn't thrilled about touching crusty grown-man toenails. Even on this side of the cross I am so quick to forget the humble servanthood that Jesus portrayed in this act. I often let him wash me clean, and then I pick and choose which feet are most pleasant to wash. I prefer manicured, painted-toenail feet, thank you very much. But seriously, I have noticed that this is definitely an area that I can grow A LOT in. 

So... the picture of Tom. God reminded me today that this man, more than anyone, has consistently and patiently shown me what it means to be serve others. I know that I can be a real pain sometimes. I am also quick to take him for granted, and sadly his humble service often goes unnoticed. As we spend more and more time together this next year, I pray that I can be a reflection of him as he reflects the redeeming love of Christ to me. Man, I miss that boy! 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you know, but this post had DEPTH. I totally pick the manicured, painted toenail feet to wash, too. Thanks for your insight, girlie!

    ReplyDelete